Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Cultural Observations 2

Peace and Quiet: There is none of this while you are eating at any of the events I’ve been to. Instead, there is always a guy on loud speaker talking during the cooking and eating of the food. I’m glad it’s in Thai though, because I think it’d be more annoying if they were saying the same things in English.

Body Hierarchy: The head is superior to the feet here. I discovered this in Bangkok, when 4 of us squeezed into the back seat of a tiny cab and I was laying across the other 3 people. I put my feet up toward the ceiling at one point and the Aiesecer that was with us told me not to do this, especially in a vehichle with a Buddha hanging from the rear view mirror. I have also heard more about this characteristic of Thai culture since I’ve been near Khao Lak. It is rude to point to anything with the feet. It’s ok if I sit with my knee to chest as long as the bottom of my foot is facing down toward the ground. However, I often catch myself and other foreigners sitting with one leg across the other, bottom of the foot facing out toward the side. This is considered rude.

PDA Forbidden: I have not seen more than 1 couple holding hands in Khao Lak since I arrived. However, it is culturally acceptable for girls to hold hands with other girls and for guys to hold hands with other guys as a sign of friendship. If a Thai woman is seen holding hands with a foreigner, she is often assumed to be a prostitute, something I’ve read (“Thailand Fever”) is very common for both foreign and Thai guys to partake in. Supposedly, Thai women know that their men will have Thai girlfriends, even when they are married. Yet, these women are supposed to remain monogamous. Can we say double standard?

Hand Placement Shows Respect: Where you place your hands when you nod your head or bow to someone indicates the level of respect you desire to show. Placing them around the throat/chin is normal to say “Hi”, but when saying “Thank you”, the hands often go up to the mouth or higher. Monks and other very respected community members often receive an even higher level of respect, with people’s hands coming together at the forehead.

In-Your-Face Advertising: Cars and trucks with loud speakers often drive along the main highway yelling things that of course I’ve never understood. I thought it might have been a way for them to communicate some of the news, but apparently it’s usually some sort of advertisement. They announce deals on produce at nearby markets, or for products they have in their truck.

Out in the Open: Trucks and motorcycles drive around with the flames on their stoves on and with their vegetables out in the open, uncovered on the highway where exhaust and other pollution is very prevalent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home