Thursday, November 24, 2005

Thanksgiving in Khao Lak

So I’ve been hearing today is Thanksgiving…hope you all are enjoying it back in The States. I’ve been invited to an “Americans ONLY” Thanksgiving celebration tonight, but I don’t plan on going. I don’t want to be part of something that excludes people of other nationalities just because they decided to have it at a small bungalow and they’re afraid of not having enough turkey for everyone.

Last night was Quiz Night at a local restaurant. I helped score the different teams’ answers and am still so intrigued by the massive amounts of random trivia people have stored in their memory. Quiz Night has become a great event to encourage unity and interaction among volunteers in the area. It’s also probably the highest sales night for Jai’s, the restaurant we patronize every Wednesday.

After Quiz Night, there was a brief bonfire before the rain came. A bunch of us huddled around a mini acoustic guitar and sang. Sebel, a kewl Australian girl I met just the other night, has a great voice. I wish I could sing like her. We had a great time taking turns playing the guitar and singing Jewel, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Green Day, Counting Crows, etc. together.

Sebel leading us in song next to another chill beach bonfire

To keep a little Thanksgiving tradition, here are a few of the things I am thankful for:
- a loving, caring and giving Mom
- a Dad whose wisdom and integrity never cease to amaze me
- a forgiving brother who seems to have taken on several of Mom and Dad’s character traits
- loyal friends who have been there for me and helped me work through challenges in life
- music, dance, and other art forms- what a great outlet for expressing the spirit inside!
- the opportunity to teach and participate in yoga classes here in Thailand
- mentors/people who I admire- Zach, Steve, Weaw, Ben, Emma the list goes on…
- the opportunity to travel, to live abroad and to have such a wide array of experiences
- the people I’ve met in Khao Lak with common interests, allowing me to enjoy things I haven’t done in a while with them
- the serenity and joy that nature’s beauty provides me, and....

...Tofurkey! (not really, wouldn't touch the stuff any more than I'd have the real thing)


A view from where we did yoga this past Tuesday

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home