Friday, December 09, 2005

And the Goodbye’s Begin

Today was my last day of teaching at Lam Pi School.

Carrie and I with 5th grade

We gave the girls nail polish, the boys colored pencils, and all of them a drink and cookies. We also gave away some of the coloring books my parents sent as prizes for winning a spelling bee. I’m so proud of the kids. Their English has improved so much within the past few months and they actually seem to be enjoying the learning process (games we came up with).

Winners of the 6th grade spelling bee (Left to Right: Jenjira, Nathong, Kwanepa)

Most of the kids made crying noises and said, “Nampung, America, no”. And, several of the boys who aren’t used to showing affection toward females gave me a hug.

Throwin' up the kewl sign for Thai kids with some of the 4th graders

Why does it seem impossible to fully appreciate what you have in the moment? Why do loss and change tend to bring about such a longing for good times in the past, good times that become greater times in hindsight?...Just a tear drop from the flow of questions constantly streaming though my mind.

On a completely different note, I had a blast last night keeping score for the Lady Boy contest last night. There were 14 proud TVC guys, some of whom were such pretty girls that I was jealous. Three rounds of competition (talent, Q&A, and a surprise round) led to a British bloak named Ed being crowned Miss Khao Lak 2005. We danced and celebrated the rest of the night.

Some of the new roomies and I at the Lady Boy competition. Left to Right: Me, Jenny, Adam, Larry, Nikki, Angie (not a roomie)

1 Comments:

At 7:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello! how are you? its angie (the one that is in the photograph!) we met at khao lak! i just typed in google "khao lak national park" and your blog came up! so strange and great seeing photos from there! hows everything going? any plans to go back to thailand? me and my boyfriend are going back to thailand in three weeks so just planning the route at the moment! do you see or hear from anyone else who was volunteering? hope your having fun whatever you are up to! take care,

Angie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home